Monday, June 20, 2016

New Washer and Dryer

Our washer and dryer is 18 years old, and is starting to make some funny noises.

I stumbled across a newer set - about a year old - in need of some repair on Craigslist.  It is a nice set made by Samsung.  The dryer was not blowing hot air.  I thought we would take a chance and buy the set and then try to fix it.

I finally had time to play around with it.  There's quite a few safety switches and thermostats that are in series that all tested out fine.  The last component (the hardest to get to) proved to be the culprit.




This is a centrifugal switch, and it makes sure the dryer motor is spinning before allowing the high current to go to the heater element.

I took it off the motor, and took off the plastic cover, and a little nubbin fell out.

It turns out the missing nubbin is the contact point that makes a solid electrical connection.  This nubbin is probably a $0.05 part, but it is attached to $110 motor as an assembly.  I broke down and bought the entire assembly just to get this project done and finished.

We now have a nice nearly new washer and dryer.  I hope we get many years of good service out of them.

9 comments:

  1. This is great! I love that you're fixing things rather than replacing them. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment. It boils down to I'm just cheap, and somewhat handy, so I would rather fix old stuff than buy new stuff. All the best...

      Delete
  2. I had the same problem with our dryer and was able to reattach (solder) the contact (nubbin) to the wiper blade and put the switch back in service. Still looking for the Park pms004-01 centrifugal switch assembly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hey, any luck on finding the switch ?

      Delete
    2. Well, no. I was unable to find the switch as a stand-alone item, and had to purchase the motor/switch as a single unit. It was a bit more costly that way.

      Delete
  3. My samsung dryer had exactly the same issue. Here is how I fixed it: 1) use sand paper to clean the contacts on the switch 2) get a short piece of copper wire (just a little longer than the nubbin), and insert it through the hole on the blade where the nubbin located. Then use pliers to squeeze the copper wire. It will settle firmly in the blade through the hole. After that, use sand paper to polish it. Better than original! Zero cost!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The same thing happened to me. I was unable to find a switch so I had to open the existing one end solder the contact node (about the size of a small nail headl) back onto the arm switch contact

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had same issue but contact came off the blade. Found it laying in the switch. Took needle nose pliers forcing it back in the hole and braided it with hammer. Then cleaned contacts with wife's fingernail pliers. Works gook for now but ?HOW LONG?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had an issue with the motor not starting at all. Still working that issue.

    But I took out the switch and two of the contact had signs of really bad arching on them.

    I think I am going to buy a new motor assembly to be done with it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment!