Sunday, March 8, 2015

More Band Saw Progress

With a warm weather weekend, I was motivated to work on my bandsaw restoration project.  I took off the lower 12 inch wheel to investigate the bearings.
Bearings were dirty, but appeared to be OK.  

I thought I would also take off those old crusty "tires".  It appears the previous owner tried to keep it going with a few wraps of black electrical tape.


Now this appears to be the original black rubber tire.  I see it is too narrow.  It is a 3/4" tire fitting into a 7/8" groove.

I took off the old tire, and cleaned off the remnants of 70 year old rubber with lots of solvents and a wire wheel.  I was also happy to see a "crown" is machined into these wheels.

I used my new Starrett dial indicator to check for run out.  I only have 0.003 inches of variance from high to low.



Progress is slow, but I hope to do more as warm weather continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!