Sunday, April 15, 2012

New Engine

A month ago, I bought a new engine for the 420 John Deere lawn mower.  I bought this lawnmower last summer, and it's a beast.  It is perfect in every way, except the engine uses alot of oil, and drips alot of oil.  I knew I would drop in a new engine some day.  That day came sooner than later when the wife said, "Well, we might as well have our money sitting in a new engine than in the bank".  I said "OK".


The new engine is a Briggs and Stratton Vanguard commercial engine.  A sticker on it shows it was made by Daihatsu in Japan.  Wow!  The new workhorse is rated at 23hp, and was a relatively easy drop in fit.

Drive shaft side

PTO side

I had to fabricate a few parts for it, but that was easily done.  Finally, after a few weeks, the engine was mounted in its final position. 


A few finishing touches, and I went out for a test "mow".  I was quite pleased with the smooth new power offered.  I think the old Onan was not turning as fast as it should have been, so the grass was just getting whipped down.  The new engine spins at the properly rated speed, so blade speed is awesome. 
I mowed the entire yard in 1 hour and 50 minutes the other night.  No hiccups or engine problems.  I'm a happy customer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!