Sunday, April 1, 2012

Garden Tilling

Last weekend, I answered a Craiglist "wanted" ad from a guy that wanted his garden tilled.  He hired me and "Big Red" to do the job.  Big Red is my 30 year old Troy-Bilt tiller.  That dude ended up paying me $60 for about an hours worth of work.

That got me to thinking this could be kind of lucrative.

I put an ad in Craigslist to perform garden tilling services.  So far, I've only had one reply that I have accepted.  Saturday morning, I drove out to her garden with Big Red anticipating a somewhat easy job.  She said her garden was "slightly overgrown, but not a jungle".  Well, upon seeing her garden, I was really intrigued to know what she defines as a jungle.  This garden was absurd!

It had saplings taller than me, and it was huge.  It was about 1500 square feet.  I told her I could not do this job with my original estimate over the phone, so we settled on the price.  We settled on the price of $150.  (If I'm gonna sweat, I'm going to make it worth my while).

Big Red did a wonderful job. After multiple passes, and pulling about 1000 saplings, the garden tilled up quite nicely.




Notice the big weeds and trees in the center of the picture - that's the kind of junk Big Red battled through.  Quite an impressive machine, after all! 

So, this is around 1500 square feet of tilled garden for $150 and about 150 minutes of tilling time.  The math works out pretty nicely.

I'm still waiting on that next tiller job to come down the pipe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!