Thursday, June 24, 2021

Walker Turner Drill Press - Restoration Complete

I've been slowly putting the old Walker Turner drill press back together.  It's fun to take it slow and do it right.  I've got the time.

It turned out all very well, and every piece is functional.  


New wiring was a must.  Here I repurposed a couple of cords from a vacuum cleaner.  I added a ground, too.  I'm a big fan of Wago wire nuts instead of traditional wire nuts - it's fool proof.

I installed a link belt.  It supposedly suppresses vibration, but I like it simply because it's easy to install.  And also it's "one size fits all".  I don't have to have stock different belt sizes.


I noticed just now the driven pulley didn't clean up very well.  I'll have to give it a bit of scotch brite to polish it up.

This mechanism lift the entire head of the drill press.  Now that it is degunked, and the post is polished up, it actually works pretty well!

The one missing part will be fabricated (by me):  The quill lock that keeps the quill/spindle assembly down is missing half the lock.  It's an easy piece to make, so I can knock that out  after work hours.

The depth indicator and related depth stop has numbers that are now legible.

I like this old style switch.  It has a real snap to it and feels very positive.

I do not have the X/Y/theta stage restored at this time, but it's on my list to do.  That will have to happen later this summer.  For now, I've got some other projects bubbling to the top of the priority list.

Side Story:  My lovely wife helped me move this drill press from one workbench to another so I could get some good pictures.  Oh man, this is one heavy heavy piece of equipment.  While we managed to move it with just the two of us, I had some flashes of panic as to if we were going to make it at about step #3 (out of 5 steps total).  After taking pictures, I had Kid #1 and Lovely Wife help me move it back to its final home.  That was the way to go.  I shouldn't underestimate the strength of my daughter.  Lesson learned.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!