Friday, June 18, 2021

Jumping Ahead - Walker Turner Restoration

 It's been a busy week, but I've managed a little more progress on this old drill press.  Temperatures and humidity have been very good for paint, so you have to make hay while the sun shines.  I think that's how it goes.

I took apart the mechanism that raises and lowers the head of the drill press.  Even though there is 80 years of caked-on goo, it wasn't too difficult to loosen and remove the hardware.


A little time on the wire brush on the bench grinder makes easy work of the grime.

A little paint, and reassembly, and things look and work like new.

I also removed the table from the column, and cleaned it up.  I only painted the underside, and the top will be left raw.  After much wire brushing, it clenaed up very nicely, and I could even see the Blanchard Ground machining marks left behind (unpictured for now)


That left the base with the column.  I tried to remove the column, but it wouldn't budge.  I can work with that, though.

More original color paint on the underside of the base.

Again, more wire brushing, but this time it revealed a patent number in the base.

Masking, wipe down, then paint and cure.  I've been real pleased with how this new Krylon paint sprays, flows, and dries.  

Here is the casting for the head.  It's a pretty neat shape, and it is fun to see all the detail the weird geometries.

I masked all the surfaces that were machined for other parts (spindle, column, cam locks, name plate).

And shot the standard paint on.  It looks brand new.


I hope over the weekend I can start reassembling many of these pieces back together.  It should be a fun puzzle.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!