Friday, September 20, 2019

The Atlas Model 64 Drill Press

I visited my Aunt and Uncle in Peoria recently.  They are moving out of their condo soon, and are downsizing tremendously.  Thus, I was blessed to obtain a new tool - the Atlas model 64 benchtop drill press.  From a little research, it appears it is a mid/late 1940s vintage.  It is solid, and very heavy, and is in very good condition.
 Researching more, I found it had the optional "low speed" pulley setup - that is the middle set of pulleys that further reduce the speed down.  That's probably more suitable for metal work, I would presume.  

The motor is huge.  The name plate is beautiful.


It is in excellent mechanical condition thru and thru.

I checked the run-out with a dial indicator, and it is still very tight.  At the most, I found just 0.004 to 0.005 inches of slop.  Not bad for a machine that is 75 ish years old.

My plans, you ask?  Well, I think I'll give it a little tune-up, and find a neighbor to help me lift it up onto a tabletop, and simply use it for now.  I can see down the road tearing it apart and replacing bearings, and giving it a fresh paint job, but I don't think I'll do that for awhile.  I've got a few other projects in the barrel to finish up before this occurs.

Thanks Aunt Ginny and Uncle Jerry!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!