Tuesday, September 24, 2019

Delta Rockwell Model # 37-290 4" Jointer

A good handful of years ago, I came across an old jointer on Craigslist.  I was in the market for an electric motor.  I found the electric motor - it just happened to come with this cool little vintage 4" jointer.  I bought it all for $50.  


It's been in a corner of my barn, but I found that I had a need to use it for a home project.  I pulled it out, and tuned it up, and ran my couple of projects through it.  While it was out, I thought I would give it a nice little paint job. 

I disassembled it into its main pieces.  It only took about 20 minutes.

There's not alot to this little jointer.  
But old greasy dust is in every nook and cranny.


The fence on the rear is able to be tilted +/- 45 degrees.  It was all frozen up, so I will work on freeing it to make it usable.

Cleaning and painting is pretty straight-forward.  I degrease all the parts with an engine cleaner and a wire brush.  I don't worry about getting all the old paint off if it is in uniform condition.  Then I mask off all the areas not to be painted.

A quick shot of primer

A double shot of paint.  In this case, I chose Dark Machine Gray.

Then peel off my masking tape.  Viola.

Do this for all parts, and then reassemble.  That's the topic of next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!