Sunday, May 31, 2015

Bandsaw Final Speed

As a curiosity, I thought I would check the wheel speed with Dad's handheld tachometer now that I have that new 3/4HP motor hooked up.  That motor had a slightly bigger pulley, so the driven wheel of the bandsaw speeds up.

The manual (dated May 1950) says the driven wheel should spin at 640rpm to produce a band speed of 2050 feet per minute.



Dad's tachometer shows I'm spinning at 700 rpm, so the math tells me I'm running the band at 2250 feet per minute.

I'm justifying this as OK.  Surely, bandsaw blades have improved slightly in the past 65 years, right?  So an increase in 10% shouldn't be bad at all.  It sure cuts nicely, and I'm finding a bandsaw has lots of uses for my oddball projects.

I'm dreaming up all kinds of new projects!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!