Saturday, October 14, 2017

Lathe Cleanup - Complete!

I spent the last month cleaning up this old lathe.  It was all surface goo, and easily dissolved in engine degreaser and some elbow grease.  


 While I was at it, I took apart most of the moving parts, de-gunked them, and reassembled for a better fit.  I did this for the saddle, the front apron, the compound slide, and the tail stock.  All parts now work real smooth as they should.

I chucked up a small part in the 3 jaw chuck, and ran my indicator over it.
 It shows I'm only 0.002 out from high to low.  I consider that 0.001 off the radius, so I think that's pretty good.

I cleaned up all these moving parts and was pleased to find another "Craftsman" emblem underneath all the crud.


Here's an end-view for a different perspective.

Now I just have to figure out my first project!

Also next up - move the lathe to its final location.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!