Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Another Old Tool Followed Me Home

Today, an old and dusty lathe followed me home.  I bought this old dude from a friend, and I think we both had a fair deal.  This is an old Craftsman lathe (model 101.07403).  I'm guessing it's a mid-1950s model, but I'll be able to find that out the deeper I dig into the guts of the machine.  

  I learned that Atlas made the lathe, 
and Craftsman put their name on it.  

All the shields seem to be in place.


Inside those shields is an array of belts, pulleys, and a crazy amount of gears.

A wee little 1/3HP motor

It came with a 3 jaw chuck (installed here), and also a 4 jaw chuck.

And a whole bunch of other stuff.  

It all came from a climate controlled lab at the nearby university, so everything is in pretty fair condition.  I thought I might have to restore it, but I might simply start with cleaning everything up and see what it can do.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!