Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Things I've Learned about Sewing

From a guy's point of view who has never sewed before, I've learned a few things that all you expert sewers probably know

1.  Pins are sharp, and can really stick deep into you.  When you jerk away from that pin that's stuck in you, it can tear your skin really easily.

2.  When you're bleeding profusely from all those pin sticks, it's best to clean yourself up and get some band-aids.  Blood can stain new material easily.

3.  Don't sew over pins.  The sewing machine makes terrible sounds when you do that.

Outside of those few points, I have learned a few things about real sewing:

1.  Sewing is like welding:  The more preparation you do, the prettier (and easier) your weld (or seam) will be.

2.  Stop the seam with the thingamajig in the upmost position.  I think that is called the thread-take-up-lever.  This snugs up the stitch and doesn't leave a big loop.

3.  When sewing through super thick layers like nylon webbing plus fabric, go real slow.

4.  If the leather belt of the treadle is slipping, you're trying to sew through too many layers too quickly.

5.  When sewing big bulky things, make seams on the right so the big bulk of fabric hangs on the left (rather than trying to fit it all under the arm of the sewing machine).

6.  Sometimes it is good to hold things together with sacrificial stitches spaced real far apart.  After you sew the parts together for real, then you can rip out that sacrificial pre-stitch.  As a bonus, there are no sharp pins to get pricked with.  (See above).

7.  It's good to take a break from sewing every few days to allow your fingers to heal from the pin pricks.  This also allows for better dexterity without 7 band-aids on 10 of your fingers.

With all that knowledge absorbed, here is the second backpack I made.  Modeling for me is Kiddo #1 again:

This pack has a few new features.  Notably, zippered side pockets.

And a 2 inch embroidered patch of a Ninja Squirrel.


I upgraded my sewing on of the nylon webbing.  It now looks nicer.  (And this is a good close up of the Ninja Squirrel)

I also made a big back zippered pocket.
All these zippers are from old laptop bags.

A spindrift collar folds over and onto the contents kind of like a cereal box.

Some extra D-Hooks are available for strapping on sandals or water bottles or whatever might be loose.


Again, I used shoulder straps from old laptop bags.  
I incorporated a carabiner into the strap, too.


I reinforced the shoulder straps at the top with more webbing, and then a canvas patch over all of it.  

Total Cost = about $8.25, and that includes a $3 patch!

I'm pretty pleased with it.  I hope it hold up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!