Thursday, October 22, 2015

New Shelves

We moved 8.5 years ago.  In that time, the extra middle room in the basement has served as a catch-all for junk.  I decided to clean it up and organize it.  I hauled 8.5 years of junk out to another room and built some shelves.

So I hauled out the 8.5 years of garbage we haven't used, 
and I found a pool table under all that stuff.

And  ping pong table, too!!

Kids have been a having fun time with those.

At the moment, the new shelf is 3 layers (ground, middle, and top).  It is in the shape of an L.  The long portion is 16 feet long, and the short part is 6 feet long.  This is a ton of new storage for us, but I'm sure my wife will be able to fill it up with things we won't use until our kids have to throw it out when we die.

I chose a simple design for shelves.  Screw some 2x2s to the wall.  Uprights are 2x2s also.  The 2x4s up front prevents shelves from sagging under heavy loads of future useless items.  


The next step is to go through our 8.5 years of accumulated garbage and get rid of alot of it.  I don't plan to read any parenting magazines from 2006 after all.  And those cassette tapes?  All of our cassette players don't work because the internal rubber belts have dry rotted.  

It should be a fun winter project.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!