Tuesday, August 19, 2014

The Saw Lives!

I spent the last few weeks working on and restoring the old table saw.  It started out as this:



With a little paint, it turned out to look real nice:

I took off the extension on the right because it was flimsy.
I think it may have been homemade, and not very well done.

I like the 2 tone motor.  That belt is new technology - it's called Power Twist or something like that.  It has individual links.  I like it because I didn't know how long of a v-belt to buy, and this took all the guesswork out of it.  Evidently, these belts are good to reduce vibration.


The aluminum front panel shined up real nice.  It shined up 90% with soap and water, and the final shine came with a little polishing.

I especially like the little measuring stick on the front for the fence.  The rack below ratchets onto a pinion on the fence.  


What you don't see are the new bearings.  I installed 2 new bearings in the motor, and 2 on the arbor.

I fired it up for the first time over the weekend and cut some hard native lumber.  It looks to be red oak, but I'll take a sample to my wood expert at work.  I can say that it sure cuts smooth.  I've heard of guys that can balance a penny on edge on their saw tabletops in order to show minimal vibration.  I think I could do the same.  I'm pleased with this stout old saw.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!