Tuesday, June 10, 2014

A New Handle Crank

With the purchase of some new steel recently,
I finally made a crank arm for the old Post Drill.

The old Post Drill had been missing this piece for as long as I can remember.  That's probably because it was never hand powered in my lifetime, but driven by an electric motor.  I designed a new crank to work as follows:

The slot is to fit around the 2 "nubbins" on the gear mechanism.
(Ignore the baked enchiladas in the background - it just shows relative size)

I made a little bend in the crank handle to avoid hitting the "advance" mechanism at the top of the post drill.

It fit just right!

Now it's just missing a wooden handle on the long carriage bolt.

 It works pretty smoothly!

Next to do is to make a proper wooden handle for this crank.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!