Monday, July 29, 2013

Bucking Spikes

Goodness - another chainsaw post.  Can you handle it?

Dad's monster McCulloch chainsaw didn't have the bucking spikes on the front.  I'm not sure why.  Perhaps it was an option when it was new 53 years ago.  Perhaps they broke off (notice a tab is broken off for the 3rd mounting hole).  This is what it looked like without:

And what it looks like with the newly fabricated spike attached:

I did some research on the web, and found pictures of spikes of similar models in the same vintage.  I found the following side-profile picture in particular that looked pretty close, and copied it into powerpoint.


From there, I did some photo resizing to make the holes in the proper location, and printed out a life sized pattern.  I transferred the paper pattern to my 1/8" stainless steel chunk, and used the old band saw to cut out the bulk of it.  After some liberal filing, I was pretty pleased.

Here's the scary artistic view: 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!