Monday, August 13, 2012

The New Monster

Last week, Dad gave me this old chainsaw that's been in the family for years.  It is a 1960 McCulloch Super 44A.  Evidently, my Grandfather used this saw back in the 60's.  Or from the way Dad tells it, my Grandfather waited for one of his boys to use it - usually Dad's brother.

This thing is huge in every way.  It is over 20 pounds of arm-killing machine.  It has a 24 inch bar strung with 0.404 pitch chain.  The 87 cc engine probably has nearly unstoppable torque.  I haven't put it to any logs yet, but I bet the wood chips really fly.
I spent the past Saturday working on getting it started, and my body is still hurting 2 days later.  I did manage to get it started and running after partially cleaning the carburetor passages, but the carb leaks gas terribly bad.  I hope to find the proper rebuild kit for new seals after I do a little more research.

 
Now compare this old saw to my new Stihl MS250 I bought a few years back.  This, of course, is my primary worker saw.  I bought it because it had about the highest power-to-weight ratio within my price range. 


As you can see, the 52 year old McCulloch makes the new Stihl saw look like a baby's toy.  This Stihl saw weighs in at a nifty 10.1 pounds and has a respectable 18 inch bar.  The Stihl is just over half the displacement of the McCulloch - it is 45 cc's.  The Stihl does all the work I've ever considered to do.

So what are my plans for this old monster?  I think I would like to get it in good, running condition and use it once in a while just for the fun of running an old engine.  This is not an every day saw by any means.  I think it will be a fun novelty toy that will make me appreciate using new technology. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!