Saturday, May 26, 2012

34 Pound Laptop

Two days after my laptop computer crashed for what appears to be the last time, I inherited this 1950 Remington Rand "Super-Riter" manual typewriter.  It is awesome in every way.  It doesn't use electricity.  It doesn't have a hard drive to crash.  There is no internet with possible security risks.  And it's also real loud. I now have a tool that can compete with the 3 kids neverending noise.

 My typing speed has suffered tremendously.  On the computer keyboard, I can maintain 60 to 70 words per minute pretty easily, and with few errors.  However, on this beast, I am perhaps half that speed.  I found that I have no strength to peck out letters with my pinky fingers, so I have resorted to stabbing with my index fingers.  I know where all the keys are, of course.  It just takes a different muscle and skill set to use a manual typewriter.  It's a blast.
Lately, Kid #1 has been dictating stories and I have been typing them out.  It's beneficial both ways - I get to type and hear her create, and she gets to hear the "ding" at the end of the line, and pull the "return button" to the right.  I'm not sure what you call it, so it's the "return button".

This typewriter weighs 34 pounds, and came with a little roll around stand that squeeks horrendously when rolled around.  All the better.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!