Thursday, August 4, 2011

Upgrading

I am always watching Craigslist for a good deal .  I believe I know the market pretty well on a few key models, and even have an Excel matrix detailing out models, options, and prices.  So when I came across an advertisement for a John Deere 420 that was way below typical, it really raised my eye brows.

I replied to the ad, and asked the standard questions.  To make a long story short, I offered him 30% less than his already extremely low price.  I didn't think he would go for it, and he didn't at first.  The seller had a few other people come by and kick the tires.  Eventually, he emailed back and said I could have it for my offer.  Wow! 

The only problem is that it is located in Cincinnati.  No big deal.  I took the day off of work yesterday, borrowed a trailer from a friend, and picked it up. 

So this is a John Deere 420.  The 420 is in the next series up from the 300 series platoform, and it is simply bigger all around.  It has more "tractor like" options with it including differential lock, individual left/right brakes, a 2 speed transaxle, and power steering.  It also has a shaft driven 60" mowing deck.  Also included in the price was a front mounted snow blade (4 way - up/down and also left/right tilt), wheel weights, tire chains, extra oil filters, extra deck blades, all the operator manuals, all the receipts from the last 10 years of maintenance, and an extra key.  That's all the good stuff.

Now the bad stuff.  The 20hp engine is nearing the end of it's life.  It is burning oil, and also sucking oil into the air filter housing.  The latter may be a simple $0.25 spring in the crankcase breather valve.  The former will most likely be cured with a new set of piston rings.  Although, the engine may be so old, a simple ring job may not be enough.  Nonetheless, even if worse comes to worse and a new engine is necessary, I'll still be money ahead due to the bargain I got in the initial purchase.  We'll see how it goes.



and a bonus smiley picture. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!