Tuesday, February 15, 2011

My Favorite Tools

I have a few favorite tools. A good quality tool is so nice to use. Many of these I use every day:

The Pocket Knife: I like this one because its so small, and has only the essentials (knife, scissors, screwdriver). I think Dad gave this to me many years ago. The backside says "Ciba Geigy" which I think is some fertilizer company or something.


Mitutoyo 6" Calipers: Always accurate, and has a good "feel" to it.


Hand vice / bench vice: This awesome little vice is great for small parts. It can be either a hand vice, or you can mount it to a benchtop. I use it alot for holding piping and tubing.




My Pocket Ruler: I carry this everywhere, because I use it so often. Perhaps Dad can lend me a pocket protector, eh?


My 1/4" Drive Socket Set: I use this all the time now. I made 3 little custom-built socket holders to keep the 3 styles of sockets organized (6pt, 12pt, and metric) and that has greatly increased the usability of this set. This set is small enough to go everywhere. I used it so much I had to have Sears replace the ratchet wrench last year. Sadly, the new ratchet now has a plastic "reversing" lever, and it doesn't have the same feel as the old one.


The DeWalt Portable Bandsaw (or Portaband, for short). It makes quick work of chopping out stock.


The Knee Mill: This is a knockoff of a Bridgeport, but it does everything I need it to do. Complete with digital read out.


The list could go on, but that's all for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!